View Single Post
Old 04-21-2016, 01:19 AM   #1
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Onyx Boox Kepler series

As mentioned in the 'Boox C67ml Carta2 preliminary review' thread and a recently posted video, Onyx Boox is releasing, in May, a new range of 'Kepler' eReaders (not to be confused with their i63SL Kepler released circa 2013), consisting of a Kepler Lite, a Kepler and a Kepler Pro. No details have been given about the Kepler and the Kepler Lite, other than they lack the Pro's page-turn buttons.

Kepler Series

Kepler Pro:

Quote:
  • 6 inch HD E-ink screen,Resolution 1442x1072(300dpi)
  • Flat screen pannel , better handheld experience
  • Built-in Front Light , reading anytime anywhere
  • Support WIFI+bluetooth wireless networking
  • 16G large storage,support MicroSD expansion
  • 3000mha battery ,only around 205,light and portable
  • Android 4.0 OS , support for more 3rd part APP
  • ...Full Screen Capacitance Touch...
  • ...Bluetooth 4.0...
  • ...Stronger WIFI Antenna...
  • ...Metal caseing[sic]...Aluminium alloy shell...
  • ...CPU Cortex-A9 1G Hz...
  • ...RAM 1G LPDDR2...
  • ...Audio Non-support...
  • ...Digitzier with stylus...
  • ...158.9x114x8mm...
  • ... around 205g
Given that the specs explicitly disclaim (direct) audio support, and specify that an "External Bluetooth headset" is needed for use of MP3 and WAV formats, I'm not sure what the two circular holes on either side of the microSD slot are for (normally I'd assume that one of them is a stereo socket).

The charbox video also mentions that at least one version of this series is waterproof.

It is also possible, from the OB listing and the video, that it has both capacitative touch and a digitizer.

All in all it looks like quite an attractive package, and I will be seriously looking at it (in competition to the Boyue T63/Shine/JDReader, which is supposed to be coming out in May as well). The only question mark I have over it is how accessible the small side page turn buttons will be, particularly when the reader is in its case.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote