View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 06:42 AM   #56
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Issybird, I do like your idea of Suzanna’s being more of a symbol. However, she was also there as an ongoing worry for Kit, who clearly loved her very much, and wanted to resolve anything which caused her distress.
Even that could be symbolic, the love of one's country even if ill (or behaving badly :cough: ).

I do think le Carré wasn't above engaging in the occasional bit of metaphor. How many times were people going to dash across the rickety bridge marked, in caps, "DANGER"? I thought that might have been a shoutout to another novel set in Cornwall, My Cousin Rachel. Another novel with a nebulous ending, so I don't think it's too far-fetched at that.

Quote:
The enigmatic ending leaves us wondering whether Emily managed to get the images sent off before whatever was about to burst in on them did so. We just don’t know, and can only hope that she did.
And even if she did, how high did the rot go? I mentioned upthread that the recipient mattered. A Katharine Graham, who published Woodward and Bernstein, or a David Pecker, who suppressed the Trump payoffs? I'm quite sure that was part of le Carré's intent in leaving it open-ended. To what extent are the press independent truth tellers and to what extent are they part of the power structure? But then it leads to cries of "Fake news!" Irony on irony.

Sigh.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote