View Single Post
Old 07-28-2014, 09:00 AM   #30
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Single quotes certainly used to be used universally in British books, but I've noticed in recent years that more and more now use double quotes.
How far back are you going, Harry? That 1943 Bulldog Drummond example was using double-quotes, and I have a 1927 Beau Geste that uses double-quotes. (The latter is technically an Australian edition, but I would have expected it to follow the UK source from which it was produced.) I haven't checked all my old hard-covers, but it seems to me that "universally" could be a bit strong.

I personally chose double quotes for dialogue because my own reading experience has been that single-quotes are occasionally confusing when possessive apostrophes are used within a sentence - especially in paragraphs where speech is interspersed with other narrative. (It can depend on the font and actual character used for apostrophes.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Having re-read my reference, I see that although it says a full stop can be used, in all the examples given a comma is used, even if the speech completes a sentence.

So I'm wrong in theory and practice on this point. Apologies.
This was something I spent a lot of time on before publishing my first book (one of the many forms of procrastination I found ). Happily, I have a very diverse collection of books here. I'd read most of the books but I hadn't remembered how they used punctuation, I had to go through and check them. Most of the older ones are UK or Australian published, but I have enough American ones that I was able to test some of the unsubstantiated claims I'd read in Internet articles on these subjects. It seems that theory and practice can vary quite widely.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote