View Single Post
Old 09-06-2019, 09:34 AM   #54
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
The synchronicity goes deeper. Your book blurb includes

In The Shepherd's Life the author observes: "They say you have to be here for three generations before you are a ‘local’..." and I think the two ideas are linked.

Also in The Shepherd's Life, there is a lot of talk about traditions, and about the lack of written record. Which had led me to think about how we relate to the past - and the memory of our oldest generation. You get to see this in action in some of what James Rebanks has written.
Fantastic link between two perhaps not so disparate books. While it looks like no joy* for Why Homer Mattersas far as the nomination goes (and any book is a long shot, of course), you've motivated me to bump it way up my TBR.

*Although there are still some nominations out there!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote