Thread: New Leaf Themes Redux
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 10:42 AM   #23
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I suppose it could include translations into English from another language also, so one author, translated by another person. A good translator can really add something to the enjoyment of the work, which would be clunky if it was a literal translation. Would that fit, do you think gmw?

I'm just looking for some wriggle room here, so that we aren't tied to books written by two co-authors.
You wouldn't get an argument from me. A person might even consider nominating The Dark Half by Stephen King and I wouldn't argue (beyond the fact that I didn't think the book was anything special to read). To explain why the book fits might be considered a spoiler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
[...]
I tend to agree with both of these. I'd like to see these two themes conflated if people are willing; I also think co-written is a little too prescriptive and could be punchier anyway.
[...]
If that's what people want ... I just didn't (and don't) see the connection. The only reason for conflating these two (rather than any other random themes) is because both speak of plurals.

I rather like Victoria's theme idea of partners in its own right, I can imagine having fun finding books that make an odd fit - like partnered villains.

People have already shown considerable imagination is interpreting themes, so I'm not that worried about being prescriptive (especially with either of these themes).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote