View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 11:40 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I was playing around formatting an epub today, and formally discovered what may be a bug in the line spacing adjustments in the font adjustments on the reading screen.

I've been seeing this behaviour for a long, long time, just never got to the point were I could test it. I think it is happening on both the Glo and the Touch (and probably the Mini).

The css element line-height controls the line spacing.

It looks like the smallest line spacing that Kobo allows you to set on the font adjustment screen is about 125%. It will gladly increase the line spacing above this value.

A line-height of 100% is a more natural setting.

In any case, the line spacing slider should have 100% in the middle, allowing you to have larger or smaller line spacing than 'normal'.

If the line-height is set in an epub's css, then the line spacing adjustment is disregarded. This is why setting line-height in the file's css is not a real solution.

The above was determined using Amasis on a Glo with a side-loaded book.
That is on the Glo, Touch and Mini. Personally, I use the stylesheet to set line height to my preference of 1.2 which is below the minimum of 1.35 the slider will set. I do the same with margins and simply leave the line spacing and margin sliders at their minimum settings unless I am reading a kepub or library book where I don't have the option of editing the ebook.

I'd disagree that a line height of 1.0 is natural unless you are fond of ascenders and descenders meeting.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 12-27-2012 at 11:43 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote