Thread: DVD Profiler
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2003, 02:41 PM   #11
brahamt
Groupie
brahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animalsbrahamt is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
Ahh, a subject that I have some expertise in.

The process of converting to DVD is somewhat long and boring, but here is what I know.

First off, not all of the tracks on the LD were analog. Many of the later LDs had multiple tracks, often one or two of which were digital. A lot of times commentary tracks were on the analog tracks.

In either case, to convert those LDs on a PC to DVD you will need the following equipment:

1 Video Capture Card
2 LaserDisk Player
3 DVD Recorder
4 Sound Card

Depending on the video capture card you have, you will need some software to capture the video. I have found nothing that I completely like, so I use the capture software that comes with my ATI card. I have used VirtualDub and Ulead MovieFactory.

After capture, depending on how compliant a capture you get (depends on software), you may need to transcode the video. After that, you get some DVD authoring software, like SpruceUp or MovieFactory to make menus and add the video. Some software will do these last two steps in one fell swoop.

Then burn it to DVD. I have used both Nero (better) and DVD Creator.

The best resource for this sort of stuff is http://www.dvdrhelp.com/

Good luck. It will take some time to learn the stuff but once you get a good successful burn, you're all set.