View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #635
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Helen:

Rizla didn't misinterpret, so far as I know. My sense is that ectoplasm might have, though.

Since I don't like reading pdfs on e-readers, the majority that I own are of books which are unavailable in any other format. Most are scans available on pubic sites, and most retain the OCR text. The scanned text level tends to be so error-ridden as to be completely unreadable.

The other pdfs I own are completely unaffected by increment-decrement font settings. You can adjust the overall size of the pdf, but you certainly can't reflow the text.

The Smoking Book, by Leslie Stern (U. of Chicago Press) is a case in point: It is a commercial book and you can't change the size of the font with the PRS-350. This is also true of the pdf edition of the magazine I co-edit, which is why I never attempt to read it on e-ink e-readers.

A different kind of example is The Letters of Thomas Lovell Beddoes (1803-1849), available from archive.org. The pdf itself contains the correct text (since its pages are a series of photos of the physical book's pages). Using the increment-decrement buttons on the 350 brings up the scanned text, which has no pdf layout at all and can be reflowed easily, but which is unreadably error-laden.

It's possible that Rizla has an extensive library of pdfs which have fully accessible text and were designed to be reflowed. I, however do not and therefore have no empirical knowledge of any pdf font size feature. Literally every pdf I've tried has not allowed font resizing.

The possibility that Rizla has used his 350 to read a kind of pdf which I have not is suggested by this quote:
Probably she has but I don't really know. The whole pdf thing makes my head hurt. I will have to put one or two on my reader and see after I finish packing to move back to civilisation.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote