View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 04:05 AM   #10
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Better check what she prefers... I find extreme contrast hurts my eyes after a while and prefer eInk pearl for steady reading (hours) and only use tablet for heavily illustrated books/magazines for much shorter periods...
Yes, I agree - it's worth trying out a number of different devices. I also much prefer the e-ink screen, but like elcreative, I read for hours at a time. An elderly lady might not read for such long periods and so the better contrast of a tablet might be more important than the possible glare. It really is very much an individual thing - I've shown tablets to people whose sight was very bad indeed, and they found the contrast on the Sony fine, as long as the font was sufficiently large, but I did find I had to adjust the contrast for a couple of them; I like it relatively dark, but most of them needed it to be quite a light setting.

I think your best bet is to try out as many as you can in the shop; either take her with you if she's able to travel, or else take measurements of the font sizes and once you've narrowed it down to the ones she can read, then see if you can get hold of the same devices to actually show her. Some libraries now stock them.

Does she qualify for any aid with assistive devices?

Last edited by LuvReadin; 11-04-2012 at 09:19 AM.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote