View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinew View Post
is it the tar hack revealed in another thread or have you found a new one? if it's the same one, it's already "published" with exploited flags needed...
This will still work if that method gets disabled (unless this gets disabled too). That is why I did not wish to reveal the details publicly. This one can take over if the MP3 hack and the tar hack get disabled, but this one also works on the K4NT. It is a "reserved" method to be used later if needed. It will be available to those who need it, and enough information has been given in various sources already for some of the people who need it to figure it out on their own.

I originally provided more details in this thread, including giving credit to the author of that other hack for bringing my attention to this new avenue of exploration. I later removed most of the extra information from here because I do not wish to bring too much attention to either hack until those who really need this can get their bricked Kindles fixed.

I first found another tar hack that is like much other tar hack that you mentioned, but which has the same dependencies and may also fail if the other tar hack gets disabled.

I continued my search until I found a new hack that has no shared dependencies and will still work if that other hack gets disabled (unless amazon discovers and disables this one too).

P.S. I am being intentionally cryptic and vague in this thread, to help preserve this hack until we need it. Other developers have been given details for this hack so that it can be quickly implemented when it is needed. You can read more about the published method at the link provided in the first post update above. Both methods accomplish the same thing using different dependencies, so hopefully having this alternative method will keep the USB Drive recovery method viable for much longer.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-01-2012 at 02:43 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote