View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 06:35 AM   #16
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
This was the first book ever I read by Jules Verne.
In the beginning, I did not think I would want to finish it, but after forcing myself to read into it for a while, it became more interesting, even to the point that I did not want to put it down.

It struck me as a bit unusual that the men did not have disagreements now and then - everybody was friendly all the time, nobody tried to break out of the team, there was no struggle to change the hierarchy (with the engineer always staying at the top) even after living together for several years in a small group, confined to the island.

What annoyed me a little bit was the fact that the men not so much were willing to live WITH the nature they found, but rather that they wanted to change everything, make themselves the masters of the island. At least that was the feeling I had, but I realize of course that the book was written in a different time, a time were people were feeling very positiv towards technological progress.

Anyhow, I am glad I read the book (would never have done it without MR ), but I am not rushing to pick up the next one by this author.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote