View Single Post
Old 06-19-2007, 09:39 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Dunsany, Lord: Don Rodriguez Chronicles of Shadow Valley. v1. 19 June 07

I still love Lord Dunsany's work. I like it for the sparkling prose, the romantic ideals of good vs. evil, and the wit in his writing. He's a beautiful writer of English prose. I re-read this novel every few years, to get in touch with my own humanity...

"Apparently, I'm not alone. Here's what one fan wrote:
This is the first novel by Lord Dunsany (aka Edward JMD Plunkett), a turn of the 19th/20th century author who was a pioneer in what was to become the genre of "Fantasy". His writing is some of the richest, most beautiful English I've ever read and his novels are a treasure for that reason alone. He also has an insight and storytelling skill that rates his writing as "literature" - much more so than all but the best fantasy authors (such as Ursula LeGuin).
That being said, this novel is notable for being a little more "fun" than his high fantasy that follows - it has a lot of humor and derring-do in it and is somewhat reminiscent of Dumas's "Three Musketeers" in that element. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard while reading such excellent prose! The plot revolves around the adventures of a young Spanish gentleman, who not being the eldest son will not inherit his father's property must seek his own fortune.
I would highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys Dumas, Stevenson, "The Princess Bride", or Zorro!"

I hope you enjoy it.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-23-2008 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Prefix
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote