View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 08:15 PM   #15
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

I really like your blog and the ui for handling multiple xhtml and style files aat one time.

Very nice!

One question, my biggest issue is importing one very large xhtml files (typically generated by conversion from one large pml file into one large xhtml file). This is what makes the current ui so slow, which you have recognized and are redesigning for 0.2.0.

The issue is that the ui will be slow until I cut up the one large xhtml file into smaller pieces. So my question is how do you envision the ui responding to the insertion of a Sigil Chapter Break tag?

1. Will it immediately split the file and then "two separate files" will show up in the sidebar on the left? Will you then handle on the fly, updating links, tocs, spine, entries, etc? That might be hard to do but that may be what you have in mind.

Or

2. Will I instead have to set all of the Sigil chapter breakpoints first (slow in a very large file), and then convert it to epub (which will split the file into chapter size pieces) and then reload it so see the new sub files made from the inserted sigil chapter breaks?

If number 2, then what if I imbed proper Sigil Chapter breaks in my one big xhtml file in advance of loading it in Sigil (or whatever code you may want to reflect file split points)? Do you envision Sigil upon initial loading and seeing the splits - on the fly creating nicely numbered file pieces (content001.xhtml, ...) that would show up in the sidebar on the left of the ui?

Just wondering. Your Sigil program is wonderful but working from one big xhtml file is a pain, and your software does nice job updating links and things when it splits files, so using it to split large xhtml files into chapter size pieces on the fly (if I preinsert the right code where I want the breaks to be) would be a wonderful feature to have that would remove the need to work with one big xhtml in Sigil at all.

Thanks,

KevinH.

ps. I would have commented on your blog page but it did not accept my MobileRead login and password and I don't have any of the other categories of login-ids, listed here so I hope posting this question here is okay.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote