View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #15
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
If you quoted my post because of my reference to 'society profiting from it', then understand I didn't not mean only monetarily (though fanfic writers would indeed have that opportunity after copyright has expired).
I mean society would profit in the sense of benefiting from the advancement in arts, science, philosophy, culture, learning, etc which is exactly what copyright protection was meant to encourage.

ApK
I actually quoted you because of the comment that they don't have a divine right to make money off of someone elses work (I agree, and so do most fanfic writers, though mere existence of 50 Shades of Grey says not all of them do and think they should indeed profit from it), and because you said they should have their own original ideas. I suppose you meant that should include original characters as well.

But you see, I am (mostly) not interested in original characters in reading fanfiction. I get plenty of that in my other fiction. But I disagree they don't have original ideas in fanfiction. Lets see... Tony Stark, we all know him, yes? So he gets shrapnel in his chest, and a guy operates on him in the desert so that a heavy duty magnet keeps the shrapnel from his heart. He gets found and has the crude device replsced by a high tech shiny gadget. He walks off the plane on his own two feet. Later in the film Pepper sticks her arm how deep in his chest?? Now I don't know about you, but I want to know what the bloody hell happened for him to be able to function after what seems like a very short time in the film for an aftermath of such serious injury. And where the hell is his sternum and lungs if someone's arm can fit that deep into his chest. I don't remember this being addressed in any official source, so I go looking, and it turns out a fanfiction writer did. .

Or, to stick to the Avengers MCU: Loki is a very polarizing character right now. People are complaning about him being woobified, or excusing his behavior when he's just plain evil, see? But as pointed out by several Scandinavian fanfiction writers, that is simply Marvel's take on the villain stemming from what are heavily Christianized texts. As noted by one of them, sin and the devil as instigator of sin are ideas rooted in Middle eastern religions; such concepts were unknown in pre-Christian Europe. Myth Loki was a force of nature, of chaos, and chaos isn't evil - you cannot hate tornadoes and earthquakes no matter how much death and destruction they leave in their wake. So people explore what would happen if there was an actual breathing personification of chaos with thought processes completely alien to how we think and feel.

And people sometimes just want to write about G.I. Joe and Barbie having the hots fir each other after a chance meeting and acting on it.

(Sorry for the wall of text; I just have very strong feelings about this issue of "everything you write must be original!!1!" Actually it doesn't - not even Shakespeare was all original all the time. Numerous sequels and prequels also show that there's a demand for "But what happened before?" and "What will happen next?" and "But what if X was Y instead?" within a specific universe to justify their current production.)
citac is offline   Reply With Quote