Thread: Laptop Choices
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #32
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
My two cents...

I was the IT Manager where I worked for many years. Not only did I work on the company's laptops, but the personal laptops of everyone in the building. I've had the least problems with Dell and Toshiba. I can honestly say I've never worked on a Samsung. The worst was HP--never seen so many dead motherboards.

Whatever you buy, remember these things:
Heat is the #1 killer.

Most of them are vented through holes in the bottom. Don't set the laptop down on the carpet or the bed where the vent holes will be plugged.

Don't close the lid and put it in "sleep mode" and then put it in an enclosed bag. In sleep mode, the fan is still running. Use hibernate mode instead.

Don't toss the laptop or set it down hard (this should be obvious). This goes for portable hard drives as well. The disks inside are spinning around very fast and the arms with the read/write heads are floating above the disks less than the thickness of a hair. When you drop the laptop, you are slamming those arms down into the disks and it's destroying the layout of magnetic particles that makeup your data.

The AMD processors run much hotter than the Intels, so be especially careful if you go AMD.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote