View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #57
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Ok, a lot of good questions. I guess, if there are more people playing with PRS-T1 who know something about the guts of Android, these questions will be answered in time. I am not an Android expert, though I did learn a little bit about this system during the course of the past several weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamthaus View Post
I've installed a handful of apps and now I'm getting 'low on space' errors -- is there any way to fix this? (it's clearly not talking about the 'READER' partition, as that has over a gig of space left)
There is only about 40MB of free room in the /data partition, where all the "non-system" apps normally get installed. There is more room in the /system partition, but it's pretty much filled to the brim by the Sony applications. The /system partition can be expanded by about 20MB, while the /data partition size is almost at capacity. What it means is that without a redesign of the entire partition structure and reformatting all or many partitions, which is a rather involved project, there isn't much room for the apps to be installed. Some of the larger apps (i.e. 10MB or larger) cannot safely be installed on the Sony Reader. Unfortunately, that's how it may stay in the nearest future.

I haven't tried Apps on SD yet. I don't know if they would work, but this would be an interesting thing to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darseno View Post
how do I install apps from the Android Market?
There as of yet is no Market support in the reader. Someone may install the Market app and fix up the build.prop to allow for installation of Market applications. I don't see any immediate need to do this for the simple reason of space. To me the reader is just that - the ebook reader. I installed the apps I thought I may need to read books. It is not good for games or office or spreadsheets - even the phone is better suited for those.

The Google apps don't work either. I think Sony intentionally broke them, or the installed framework is incompatible, as it seems that the most essential of them are present, but they don't come up, and trying to start them may hang up the reader. I understand that the Google AutoSync and the Email services running in the background would be a very bad idea for the battery. But I am not sure why trying to register a Google account crashes the core system processes and can only be solved via reboot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darseno View Post
Before installing the hack, I could use the page forward and page backward buttons to scroll one page at a time in the web browser. Now these buttons don't do anything in the browser.
As far as the page buttons being a bit off in the Internet Browser and the landscape mode of the Sony's own Reader, I will try to solve this issue. I defined the Key Events generated by the buttons to be DPAD_UP and DPAD_DOWN, and it seems to affect some applications. The reason I had done it was to enable proper paging in Cool Reader. I will look for other available functions for the buttons, and if they work, I will update the packages... I would have to get in touch with the Cool Reader developers to ask them to assign another set of functions to the buttons.

And one other thing: there is a way back to the original state. All you need to do is install the "rescue package", and your reader will be just as it had been before you started messing with it. No root, no ADWLauncher, no Cool Reader, just pure old Sony. So, if you get annoyed with the hack, just reverse it. At this point we are in the stage of the early exploration, so many things are not working well.

Last edited by porkupan; 10-25-2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: grammar and some additional ranting
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote