View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 02:51 AM   #695
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I had to look up the weight of 'one stone.' I know that in the UK, you use pounds and ounces as well as the metric system, but why 'stone' for body weight?
We are basically a metric country, but a few "old" things have stuck, and among those are measuring your weight in stone and pounds (1st = 14lb). I don't know why - just one of those things (like measuring road distances in miles, although everything else is in metres). Everyone in the UK knows at least approximately what they weigh in stone; I doubt that 1 in 100 would know it in kg. Perhaps it's different for kids, who are taught only the metric system - I don't know.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote