View Single Post
Old 08-09-2019, 06:29 PM   #3
karthikrr
Enthusiast
karthikrr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (N250) / Kobo Aura (N514) / Sony PRS 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
It seem to me that the device is always powered on, and that you are toggling sleep mode on and off, the black screen being the sleep mode, and the white screen an empty page in the book. When you slide the power switch and hold it in this position for 25 secs or so, the device should definitely power off. When you wait a bit and then slide again holding the switch for 1 or 2 seconds the device should power on and you should see the (lower part of the) home screen.
Ah, this is very helpful! I tried this, and while I did not get any "home screen" stuff on the bottom, I also randomly tapped various parts of the screen and ended up getting a keyboard and then somehow the wifi-selection screen, and eventually even a language screen, but just the very bottom third of the screen, so not much to go on.

I managed to change the language, though I am not sure to what. But instead of the japanese characters on the black page, I now have what looks to me like German : "Ausgeschaltet"

One thing of concern, in the keyboard, before the language change as well as after, I found that the ... umm, non alphabet keys??? I mean the shift, enter, etc keys were all either gibberish or some strange language. Not sure if this is related to the broken screen or if its a deeper problem. However, I am consistently able to get different settings menus in readable form by tapping near the top left of the screen.

Quote:
When you plug it on there should appeare a pop up asking you whether you want the device to connect to the PC. Evidently the pop up window is on the broken part of the screen.
This makes a lot of sense. I reconnected it and then again tried the random taps to get it to connect idea. Didn't have any luck, and got bored of repeating it over and over since I wasn't even sure if the popup remains visible if I tap the wrong place.

UNLESS the garbled text in the keyboard is of real concern, Im inclined to believe this is a reasonably good candidate for fixing. Would you agree with that assessment?

And if yes, a second question popped up as I was looking at options on aliexpress. I used the information at https://e-ink-reader.ru/chg_dsp_en.php as well as physical information from the current screen (back of the display cable) to figure out what screen to buy. The issue though is that ED060XH3(LF) seems common, BUT my current screen has H2-S5 printed after (LF) and the screens on aliexpress vary wildly on that final text. Is this a deal-breaker? One seller made a point of asking what "resistance" is required. Not sure if this text is the information he needs.

In any case, I contacted a bunch of sellers and sent them the pic of the broken screen. Hopefully some of them understand and respond with the right information.

Thanks again for your very helpful reply! Gives me enough confidence to order a screen. *fingers crossed*
karthikrr is offline   Reply With Quote