View Single Post
Old 08-09-2019, 05:30 PM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
My guess is that it is fine apart from the broken screen. I am not totally sure about what is happening, but here is what I think:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikrr View Post
I see an orange/red slider on top, apparently the power switch. Sliding it and holding it makes a difference on the screen : the lower part goes black with some japanese text on it, and doing it again makes the whole screen go white, with the top part of the screen and its vertical and horizontal lines never changing. When I push the light button, it lights up fine as well. When it is in the off condition (presumably when the lower working part of the display is black),
It seem to me that the device is always powered on, and that you are toggling sleep mode on and off, the black screen being the sleep mode, and the white screen an empty page in the book. When you slide the power switch and hold it in this position for 25 secs or so, the device should definitely power off. When you wait a bit and then slide again holding the switch for 1 or 2 seconds the device should power on and you should see the (lower part of the) home screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikrr View Post
and if I plug it to the computer, the screen goes white, making me think it "connects" to the computer and so "wakes up" ... Also, there is a blinking light on the power switch at various times, whatever that means.

However, I see no indication in the eject devices popup on my computer that says an ereader is connected. I received no notification at all that a USB device was connected. Calibre does not seem to show any ereader as being connected. Kobo Reader also does not seem to detect the device. This makes me wonder if perhaps the screen is not the only thing that is dead. Reset had no effect as far as I can tell.
When you plug it on there should appeare a pop up asking you whether you want the device to connect to the PC. Evidently the pop up window is on the broken part of the screen.

Last edited by tshering; 08-09-2019 at 05:33 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote