Thread: Seriousness When is HUMOR in "Bad" taste?
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 09:42 AM   #66
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
"Black humor," or "Black Comedy" was very popular in the '60s, but is not in much vogue today.

However, humor in general experiences a resurgence of interest during times of national crises or when a populace becomes downtrodden (due to inadequate "leaders" such as Bush?).

Also, humor is often cyclical in nature. When all you can do is cry, sometimes you have to laugh in order to cry even more.

Getting back to "Black Comedy," I enjoy humor of a dark nature, one that looks at death, bathroom antics, dead things - things that might make us uncomfortable. Lenny Bruce has already been mentioned, but also consider the later (and late) George Carlin - after his "Hippy-Dippy Weatherman" routines. There are many more one could name.

I think humor that penetrates into one's obsessions and neuroses is the kind of humor that cuts deep and lasts longest, because it goes into the dark recesses of one's doubts and one's [mental] illnesses, where the shifting, coalescing shadows lurk. It scares you because it's so true, whether one talks about cats, reincarnated carpets, Zombies, Ghouls, or guts. This is the kind of humor I love: Humor that leaves a stain in your mind.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-25-2009 at 10:40 AM. Reason: changed "before" to "after"