View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #3
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime_Astorga View Post
I decided to try ePub before, and while I saw that it was a great format, I've been unable to make serious use of it because every program I've found that can open it has been unsuitable to my purposes. FBReader and the Firefox EPUBReader Add-On came closest, but they both had a pretty big flaw... I found their automatic library building incredibly annoying, and knew of no way to disable it. Is there any reading software similar to the above, but which merely opens books upon command rather than try to automagically add files to a library?

I'm using Windows XP SP3 and Ubuntu 10.04.1 Lucid Lynx LTS, though if somebody also had an Android recommendation I would appreciate it.
I have FBReader and the Firefox EPUB reader up under Windows XP SP3 and Ubuntu Linux 10.10. I don't see the problems you mention, because I don't let them build libraries. There is no requirement to add a file to the application's library to open and read it.

In Firefox, I simply navigate to the ePub file and open it. (I could theoretically make bookmarks of them, and get to them that way.) FBReader is associated with various file types as the default application for opening the file, so I can simply double-click the file in Windows Explorer or whatever file manager I'm in on Linux and FBReader is invoked to read it.

I use a folder structure to categorize and classify ebooks, and don't want the viewer to perform library functions.

The big win in FBReader for me is the ability to read Plucker files, since I have about 3,800 of those, and FBReader lets me read them in Windows and Linux as well as on my Palm OS PDA.

You might look at FBReaderJ for Android. It's a rewrite of FBReader in Java. It doesn't support all of the formats FBReader does - right now it does OEB, ePub, and FB2, with future plans to expand the offerings to those supported by FBReader - but since you mainly want to read ePub this should work for you.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote