View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 10:52 AM   #145
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerieFire View Post
I was getting it every time I put the Kindle to sleep, never saw a single image after the hack. I even waited a few minutes sometimes, just in case the image size was too large (the .pngs were way bigger than the .jpgs I'd used when I tried the K1 version of the hack and got a glorified image directory instead of screensavers).

The hack appeared to apply correctly, since the version number came up with the correct "with screensaver hack" information. It's not a thumbs.db issue, because with system files showing, I would have seen a .db file on the Kindle, and there wasn't one. I'm wondering if this is a Vista issue -- anyone with Vista get it to work correctly?

I do need to double-check if I added an S to the directory name, but I don't think I did. (It's been a week, so I don't remember for sure...). I'll report back either way.
I am using Vista but it's really just the delivery system to get the hack bin files onto my Kindle. Here is how I did it (re-did it after the update)

I saved each image as a 600 x 800 .png file.
I did not convert them to gray scale.
I numbered the images in the order I wanted them to appear (k2a, k2b, k2c...).
Placed all the .png images in the system "screen_saver" folder.
Copied the "Update_kindle2_user_screen_savers.bin" to the root of my K2
Ejected the Kindle.
Surfed over the the K2's setting menu and selected "Update Your Kindle"
I let the Kindle do it's thing and Voila! It worked.

BTW, getting rid of the thumbs.db file got rid of the blank screen for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k2 folders.JPG
Views:	564
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	25958   Click image for larger version

Name:	k2 screen saver files.JPG
Views:	536
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	25959   Click image for larger version

Name:	k2 hack bin in root.JPG
Views:	532