View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 06:21 AM   #308
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Will you be getting your hands on a Pro? Just testing it in store?
I'm kind of curious about the RT. But does it only come with the rented Office?
RT has a full package of office. It comes as "Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 RT Preview (Word, PowerPoint, Excel and OneNote)". After the official update (has been available after ca. 1 week) from Microsoft it's converted to a full version though.
(Strange enough: I had to do this update from within the desktop, it didn't find the update within the Metro interface. That's my only minor pain in Windows 8: Constantly switching between desktop and Metro mode).
On Pro, there's only a test version, as far as I know.
You either have to buy the full version (€ 250 or something like that) or have to rent the cloud version.
I guess, the price for the Pro will be converted 1:1 from $ to €. Meaning: € 999 for the bigger one. Plus € 250 for Office = not the cheapest of options.

Comparison of RT and Pro: http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-...-right-for-you

I probably won't be able to test the Pro anywhere.
Mid of February, German Media Markt and Saturn (maybe others as well) will have the RT, but not the Pro from what I've heard so far.

I've checked out lots of Windows 8 (Pro + RT) units in Saturn Markt.
I didn't like any of those, though.
I'm not a Samsung fan and didn't like the Ativ at all. Same for Asus and Acer.
And Lenovo Yoga was a strange experience design-wise.
I wanted to like the Sony Duo 11, but was bothered by the fan noise.
I wanted to like the Toshiba Satellite U920T, but the vibration on the bottom was a showstopper for me.
I want to have a tablet/hybrid.
And from my experience with Surface RT, I tend towards Surface Pro. I think, re. build quality they both are a class of their own.

Meaning: I'll most likely order Surface Pro as soon as it's available.
There seems to be a shortage of type covers, but I already have both covers for Surface RT. I'll use the touch cover on Surface RT and the type cover on Surface Pro.
Rumor has it, Surface Pro will be available from February 14th in Germany.

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-11-2013 at 06:30 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote