View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #11
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
In general I suspect updates for typos will be more common than format updates. An exception might be Amazon since AFAIK the only ebooks it sells are for the Kindle. The issue with format updates, of course, is the variety of different displays to which the format needs to adapt. Maybe some day they'll develop an 'intelligent' format, but not even ePub is quite there yet. It's the closest I've found but still distinctly different on, for example, my Palm Treo vs my Android tablet. Haven't tried it on my wife's Android phone yet but it looks about the same on my tablet as on my PC so I think it should do well with 'modern' devices.
Actually, iBooks would be the one with only "known device" display control. Kindle books are read on anything there's a Kindle app for in addition to the actual Kindle hardware.

In my opinion, we don't need an intelligent format as badly as we need intelligent formatters - most layout issues are due to lack of understanding how ebooks work by the people creating them. With few exceptions (House of leaves, for one) most books don't need complicated formatting in order to look good. I don't need books to look the same across devices, I need them to be equally readable.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote