Thread: Touch Drag and Drop fails.
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by edu500ac View Post
Software version: 2.0.0 (r41166, 7/12/12)

The other device shows:

Software version: 2.0.0 (r41166, 12/07/12).

I tryed two methods to perform the deletion: (1) I pressed the written lines icon on the Library/Books list of books; this opens a menu with the options:

Read Now
View Details
Mark as Finished
Delete

I choose the option "Delete". The other method is to delete the book directly, using the operational system of my computer.
OK, that is a known bug in the 2.0.0 and 2.1.1 firmware. Or maybe Kobo see it as a feature, but I don't know what it is for.

The Kobo ereaders have a database that contains information about the library. Each time a book is added to the device, information about the book is added to the database. When a book is deleted, the information is removed from the database. But, in the 2.x.x firmware, one record is left. This is modified to show the book is deleted. This entry is removed when a sync is done with the Kobo desktop app or via WiFi.

The bug/feature is that while that "deleted" entry is in the database, if the book is put back on the device, it won't be processed and added back into the database.

The simplest solution for you, is to not delete it. Just put the new copy on with exactly the same file name. This might not work, but it depends on the changes. It won't work if you have changed the file structure or the chapter structure. In these cases, the Touch will either remove the book completely, including the database entries, or it will be OK. But, the new structure won't be in the library database, so things like the TOC won't work.

It the changes you are making do cause the above problems, then use calibre to delete the book and add it back in. The reason to do this in calibre is that the Kobo driver will remove the book from the database on the Touch. When calibre puts it back, it will be processed as a new book when the Touch is disconnected.

If the above doesn't work, the simple solution is to change the file name or directory used for the book each time you update it on the Touch. The book will then be seen as a new book, processed and added to the database and hence the library.

Of course, you can do it the way Kobo want you to. Delete the book and then do a WiFi sync before connecting to the PC to put the new version on.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote