View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #116
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by djulian View Post
The idea that what we read affects how we view things is not an original POV. It's a fairly old idea, held by many people. In fact, I suspect it's why many people write books (apart from the desire to be known, make money, etc). Otherwise, why Orwell? Why Bradbury? etc.

Erotica is not different in the fact that it affects people--quite the opposite. I am arguing that it is the same, in that it affects people like other types of art affect people, and that it affects their views on things pertaining to the content. In this case, the content is sexual, so the affects are on a person's sexual viewpoint.

And I do know of some readers of thrillers/mysteries who are prone to see a potential murderer or abuser or mafioso around every corner.
Ahh, but is that not why they read the books and/or movies?
They enjoy being horrified or titilated or feeding their paranoia.

If a book makes me uncomfortable or causes me mental pain I stop reading it and wish I had never picked it up. Those who do enjoy what to me are abhorrent books are very different from me but I doubt that reading the books made them this way.

Bad things were done by bad people long before the written word or computers and the internet.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote