View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #31
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I think it's more important to get into the writing habit. I don't write every day, but I find that when I'm not writing at all for a few days at a time my mood sours somewhat. I'm a firm adherent of Malcolm Gladwell's theory that it takes at least 10,000 hours of practice to get really good at something. That's a lot of writing. I have five novels I wrote in grad school and about 2 million words of fanfics that I posted on a gaming forum, before I started my "serious" writing (i.e., the stuff I've self-published over the last few years). I go back and look at those early novels sometimes in the hopes of being able to polish them up and publish them, but they're just too raw. But I would not have gotten to my current level without having written them.

There are gifted writers who just start out good, and can publish in their teens/early 20s, but I do believe that for most of us it does take years and years of work before you can really make it as a writer.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote