View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #11
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
The elephant in the room is portability. If you want portability, then the screen is going to be smaller. All we need on a small screen is footnotes that allow one line of text and the rest footnotes.
I can deal with a third of the screen dedicated to footnotes, even on a 5" screen. Could deal with either always setting aside that space (in a given book, not for books that don't have them), or setting it aside on pages that have footnotes--and long footnotes could continue between pages, just like they do on some paper publications.

I could deal with endnotes instead, if the software had an easy click-and-back function; I think sorting out footnotes will be easier to program. Non-linear navigability is very limited in ereaders, and that's as much a hardware problem as software.

Quote:
There is no free lunch for power either. If you want video, it will take up battery power, hence a larger device or more frequent charges.
I don't want video. Or rather, I don't want the drain that'd come with video. Color would be nice, but not if it means giving up battery life.

I could switch to a more versatile device if they figured out how to keep at least one of my key features--portability and battery life--without sacrificing ease of use and durability. (Not that eink readers are particularly durable now, but I wouldn't want to deal with anything more fragile.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote