View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
joycedb
Guru
joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Where Dreams are Born, an e-book or print book from a small publisher.

In the foster care system, most of the kids learned early on to rein in their emotions, wary of showing anger when ragged lest they become the butt of every prank. And God help the poor tyke who couldn’t control a quivery lip and brimming eyes. Even joy was suspect, a kid sooner scorning that which brought pleasure than risk having it snatched away by mean-spirited playmates.
After surviving a childhood as bereft as one could imagine, Jack felt it his duty to prevent a similar experience for Tommy. What boy wouldn’t benefit from having a man in his corner, someone with whom he could toss a ball, watch scary movies on a rainy Sunday, or just plain hang out and grouse about the peculiarities of the opposite sex?
Jack paused in the hallway outside his room, transfixed by the figure pirouetting in front of his mirror. On her third twirl, she saw him and stopped so suddenly she nearly tipped over.
“Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t hear you come home,” she said in a breathy voice. Eyes large and luminous, she tugged at the pale wisps of hair at the nape of her neck. “I hope you don’t mind, but I spent more than I planned. I have all the receipts here.”
His jaw dropped. “Uh, no. No, I don’t mind.”
“I stopped off at the beauty parlor too.” She smiled, and her smile assaulted him. Everything in the room dimmed but her and that killer smile. “What do you think?” she said, showing no mercy.
Jack stared back. What did he think? Her hair, once drab and lifeless, now seemed almost iridescent, the shade a dazzling blend of Christmas tinsel shot through with gold dust. Had it always been that sparkly? And her eyes, once as mesmerizing as muddy water swirling down a storm drain, now reminded him of melted honey.
“Do I look presentable?” she asked, firing another volley of smiles.
Jack surrendered without a fight. “Uh, yeah,” he mumbled. “You look―terrific.”
Once the words fell out of his mouth, both blushed, aware his positive response took their relationship out of one realm and into another.

First two chapters on joycedebacco.com. Thanks.

Joyce
joycedb is offline   Reply With Quote