View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 08:52 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Fort, Charles: The Book Of The Damned. v1. 11 July 07

This is probably Charles Fort's best-known work. He inlfuenced quite a number of early science fiction writers due to the number of ideas in his books.

He challenges the dogma of modern-day science - not only of his age, but one that continues into this age, I feel.

Here's a quote about the book:

"I recently learned of Charles Fort and his dedicated followers, self-described "Forteans". Forteans try to think outside of the box, "question everything" could be considered their motto. The "Book of the Dammed" is regarded by many to be his finest work."

And another one:

"Hailed as the man who kick-started modern day scepticism for the findings and conclusions of mainstream science, Charles Fort is actually a man who is paid more tribute now than ever before with the advent of alternative archaeology and science in general and with more and more people (researchers, scientists or not) actually doubting some of our more precious scientific dogmas."

Charles Fort is not for everyone: His style is somewhat sarcastic, but also full of wit. He gives, sometimes, a large number of examples when only a few might suffice. Keep in my, however, that this was published in 1919.

At the end of each chapter, he sometimes has 40 or 50 (or more!) footnotes. I DID NOT LINK THESE. However, the footnotes are often as entertaining as the actual text itself.

This is a strange book. As a teenager, I tried to read it because I kept hearing about A. E. Van Vogt and Eric Frank Russell (and a number of other writers) having been inlfuenced by Fort's writings. I couldn't get into it; I was impatient and young. I now relish his writing style and the wit and sarcasm I find in his writing.

Fort had an enclyocpaedic mind and, I suspect, would have fallen in love with a computer. He maintained an untold number of THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of small scraps of paper that he used in order to record his accumulating "facts." He then organized these and created his books.

Anyway, I hope you like it.

Don
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf Fort, Charles - The Book Of The Damned.lrf (486.0 KB, 1219 views)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-11-2007 at 08:56 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote