View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #15
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I find it incredibly difficult to pick manga, myself. It's such a broad subject, it's a bit like saying "recommend me a movie". The only two sensible ways of finding anything seem to be a recommendation from someone who knows what you like, or a random sampling until you find something. I don't really know anyone who reads manga and likes the same things as me, so I'd probably be better off going to the library and trying a few. I get the feeling their manga selection is aimed at kids, though.

It's kind of the same with anime, and there is understandably a lot of crossover. I find it almost impossible to tell if I'm going to like something until I actually see it. Popularity is no real help.

In practice, I have bought and tried a few. Some have hit, some have missed. I picked up the first three issues of Initial D at a clearance sale once, and enjoyed it more than I expected. It's a petrolhead manga about street racing. The characters don't look too great, but the cars are detailed and accurate. I just found that I was drawn in by the story-telling. It's an extremely long series, though, so I let it drop.

I also quite enjoyed Deathnote, about a boy who has the power to kill anyone in the world by writing their name in a demonic book, although again I haven't (yet) seen it through to the end.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote