View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
To answer a few of your questions:
Quote:
My question is which reader is best for all the free e-books available.
The ebooks available from this site can be used on most popular ereaders. Ebooks available for checkout from many U.S. libraries come in two DRM formats, one of which can be read on the Sony ereaders, the other can be read on the Kindle with a little adjustment. If you remove the DRM from any ebook, (the legality of which evokes much discussion), free software "Calibre" will convert either format into whatever format your ereader needs.

Quote:
I also have quite a few word.docs I read for work. If I have existing material on my computer can I transfer to the reader for free? I think I read the Kindle charges for this.
You do not need to have Amazon convert your word or pdf documents for use on the Kindle. There is free software that will handle this very nicely, and you simply upload the material via the Kindle usb cord.

Quote:
Curious about accessing the web through the reader, it seems this may be good for reading news/magazines while traveling (economist, etc) so any comments would be great.
Since Kindle is the 'wireless' solution in the U.S., if you want to access newspapers and magazines easily while traveling, it is probably the best solution. There is, of course, a fee for purchasing these periodicals. You can review the availability and subscription charges at Amazon's kindle website.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote