View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 04:40 AM   #34949
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Right now I am girding my loins for bed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Right now I am trying to figure out what that means...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I think it means we don't EVER want to meet his wife...

I'm sure you get the gist, but girding your loins according to Wikipedia means:

"The term "gird one's loins" was used in the Roman Era meaning to pull up and tie one's lower garments between one's legs to increase one's mobility in battle. In the modern age, it has become an idiom meaning to prepare oneself for the worst."

So I guess Stitchy was right . Although these days it tends to be used colloquially just to say that you are getting ready to go/leave.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote