View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #59
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Tolkien is inconsistent (maybe there's a better word) as a stylist. I.e., some parts of LotR are tight and very well written (many of the battle scenes; the scouring of the shire; the unexpected party; most bits with Gandalf; most bits with Gollum); but other parts would benefit from a good editing - the section on the Ents, for example - but also a lot of the Sam and Frodo scenes after they've left Rivendell.
I agree. Tolkien seemed more concerned with style and make-believe than actually telling a story. I can understand that some people like that level of detail and immersion, but I don't. I like character and plot. I don't have any interest in 4-page descriptions of a hill or to be reminded every time that Gimli is mentioned that he is the son of Gloin.

When reading the books I often found myself just wanting a scene to end because I had already got the gist of what Tolkien was saying.

The movies have the story, they are brilliantly realised.
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote