View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I can't replicate your problem on a Windows PC if the filename extension of the imported file is .pdf.

When I rename a generic file to .pdf before I import it, Calibre accepts it as a PDF and then when I right click on the ebook and select Convert books -> Convert individually the normal convert window comes up with input format: PDF and output format: EPUB. When I actually try to convert I get an error message that the PDF is encrypted (so Calibre does not even detect that the file isn't a PDF at all).

However, if I import (by drag and drop) a non-ebook format (e.g. .mbp or .apnx) then the Formats: shows up as MBP (or APNX). In that case only, when I right click on the ebook and select Convert books -> Convert individually I get "no suitable source format found". So, I think your imported file is not being detected as a PDF and so far as I can tell "detected" just means "look at the filename extension" (which is the standard method on a Windows PC). The way you can tell is to look at what Calibre lists under Formats: when you highlight (select) that particular ebook. This should be part of the sub-window that shows the cover and some properties and the metadata (e.g. the description of the ebook) if there is any. If it says PDF, then try clicking the "click to open" after Path:. This should bring up a new window on Calibre's internal folder for this ebook. Does this window have a file identified (by Windows) as PDF in it, and if so can you read it with your standard PDF reader? If it does not say PDF, what does it list instead? It is possible that there will be no Formats: at all, because an empty ebook can be input to Calibre. If any of this is confusing, try comparing what come up in the ebook description sub-window for a PDF that you could convert and what comes up for one that you could not convert.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote