View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
sun surfer, I am 50% complete. My thoughts are similar to yours. I like your comparison to Zadie Smith. Gritty but colorful is a good way to characterize the book. I can certainly visualize the village from all of the vivid details. JKR's writing style is similar to the HP books just with a more adult content. I like that the story revolves around the adults as well as their teenage children. I also like the shifting points of view. One chapter they are gossiping about a character and the next chapter you are inside that character's head for contrast. The most shocking content is in the beginning of the book. The profanity probably could be cut in half and still be effective. It does seem at times that she has gone a bit OTT to make her adult voice heard, and it's pretty easy to pick out which parts could have been cut by an editor. However, I am enjoying the book and want to keep reading to find out how it ends.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote