View Single Post
Old 09-30-2014, 06:48 PM   #69
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_A20 View Post
Hello Hitch,

I’ve been building e-books by hand, from scratch, for about five years. I write a book, format it in HTML, use an external CSS file to style it, and build all the construction files to put it together as a kindle mobi using kindlegen from the cmd line by submitting an OPF file, and building a separate epub version with separate pages and a modified OPF. I’ve run into lots of problems but managed to find solutions to all of them.

I’ve never been satisified with Amazon Kindle formatting and started a project back in April to see just exactly what I could do with the HTML and CSS, Amazon says in it’s guidelines it supports. It’s been an interesting learning experience because I’ve been pushing the envelope as much as I could.

I now would like to try embedding fonts, and my internet info search led me to this thread at a point back in July 2013 (#1 Mathew Reuther 07-17-2013, 08:18 PM). I read this thread with great interest. It was better than many mystery novels. But it left me feeling that if I stepped into the world of embedded forts, I was walking blindfolded and backwards, off a cliff.

What I would like to find, is a complete example of embedding and using a font showing how and where it’s mentioned in an HTML document, how it’s declared and what selectors are need to manipulate it in CSS, and how it’s shown in the OPF.

Do you have any suggestions where I should look, or can you give me some real example code?

Thanks,
Tony

Hi, Tony:

Well, let's start out less horrifyingly: what have you tried thus far? I usually tell folks to start with some of the already-available from the firmware fonts, and work your way outwards from there. I can tell you that you MUST, absolutely, test every single book, if you embed/call fonts, because fonts CAN and DO get stripped, routinely, at the KDP. (We still have a book, that we "resolved" but did not SOLVE, that had a mystery conflict between Arial [both embedded and/or called or both] and some of the Lucida fonts).

I can recommend that you start out with relatively "simple" fonts. The embedding isn't magic; if you can make an ePUB with embedded fonts, it *should* work at the KDP. There's some urban myth stuff about identifying the fonts at the top of the stylesheet, and on occasion, that seems to make a difference, myth or not.

So: what devices do you have to test with, and where are you at, in terms of tests and attempts?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote