View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #98
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
However, it's a truth that the only source for a wide range of major-publisher content is the Amazon store: you want a New York Times bestseller -- or even most of the authors you see in a bookstore or library (assuming their work is available as ebooks at all) -- you do have to buy from Amazon.
I would say that the *best* source (not only) for a wide range of major publisher content is Amazon especially when it comes to main stream bestsellers. I believe it is well know that Amazon is largest ebook content provider. I don't believe it is true that bestsellers are only available at Amazon. I do believe you have a better chance of finding a book you're looking for on Amazon that anywhere else.

Quote:
When someone buys an ebook reader to read novels by James Patterson or Stephen King (or even me) or nonfiction by Malcolm Gladwell or Bill Bryson, to tell them that -- hey, no probs, you can get Jane Austen's Emma over here -- is ducking the question and not really separating myth from truth.
Where are you seeing this happen?

Quote:
Fictionwise's multiformat books available in Mobi format cam indeed be used on the Kindle but they are principally titles from small publishers or public-domain works.

For a graphic example of the difference, simply go to the main page at http://fictionwise.com. The books listed on the left-hand side are the ones you can get there for the Kindle; the ones on the right-hand side are then ones you can't get for the Kindle anywhere but the Amazon store.
If they are listed, you *can* get them depending on how comfortable you are with some format shifting options (which I can't really go into because of forum policy). If you research enough, you'll know that very few formats can't be "liberated" for use on your reader of choice.

BTW, I have purchased Stephen King, Dean Koontz and a few other titles from Fictionwise through some micropay deals. These books now reside on my Kindle.

Remember I only listed *some* sources, not all (there are other wiki pages for th so I edit to give a link to those pages). One may even purchase directly from the publishers web site in many cases.

On the whole, one *can* buy content for the Kindle from as many sources are there are available. Some will be better for some things than others (Sci-Fi users seem to prefer Baen.com over Amazon).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote