View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #14662
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
The other day whilst in my local library I just happened to pick up a display book in the history section, and now I've started a mini project which I'll intersperse with fiction books if I feel like something lighter.

The book,

Mirage, Napoleon's Scientists and the Unveiling of Egypt, Burleigh Nina

is, as the title suggests, about Napoleon's adventures/occupation of Egypt from 1798, and is supposed to focus on the Savants who accompanied Napoleon for the purpose of documenting Egypt from the scientific viewpoint.

I don't recommend this book - it doesn't meet it's expectations, doesn't particularly focus on the work of the Scientists, and at times appears to report gossip as opposed to fact.

However - it's started me off on a mini reading project of Napoleon's trip. To that end I've now acquired:

Bonapart in Egypt, J Christopher Herald (first published 1962)

At Aboukir and Acre, GA Henty (1899)

Napoleon's Egypt, Juan Cole (2007)

And am still sussing out Al-Jabarti's Chronicle of the French Occupation 1798. Al-Jabarti was an eye witness and his account will provide the Cairene's perspective.

So .... as I was saying I just happened to be walking past the history section of my local library when .........
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote