View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
As in MP3 players, it's useful to know if your device can play the intended source material (or to stretch the analogy, your cell phone carrier provides coverage in the areas where you intend to talk).

Here are two considerations concerning device-to-source material compatibility:
- Do you have access to public library offerings, which are mostly in Adobe Digital Editions? This includes paying $100/yr. for a NY Public Library non-resident card with access to over 12,000 ebooks. If so, get the Sony.
- Do you like newspapers and magazines for free? Donationware app Calibre can do that. Not all are as good as offered for pay by Kindle, but there's a greater selection. If so, get the Sony. (Note that Calibre is reportedly working on supporting .mobi output, which is compatible with the Kindle. When that happens, free magazines and newspapers will no longer be a consideration in selecting Kindle vs. Sony.)

For purchased books, selection, price, and convenience (whispernet) favor the Kindle.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote