View Single Post
Old 12-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #567
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
Sometimes there is more than one ISBN in the Omnibus, so you can split it into individual books, but I know what you are saying

Technically this is untrue; an omnibus has its own ISBN, which is different from those assigned to the original versions of the individual books that constitute it. And, yes, in some cases it is feasible to split it back up; I did that when I bought a four-book omnibus earlier this year that included two books I'd read in paper and a third that I'd bought electronically. I kept an archive, of course, but I split it into the four books for reading. I also updated my Goodreads library accordingly, "converting" the first two and adding the fourth. Yes, that does leave me with two e-copies of the third book, but given the pricing, I don't mind that.

To me, it all boils down to how I'm going to read it. I've got a four-book omnibus in my Ent cemetery that I can't just physically split into four pieces; it's one volume that I'll read and count as one book, and that's how I handle all my physical books. The electronic omnibus I just referred to is one volume that I've split and will handle as four books, but I've got another (3-in-1) that is made up of short novels, so I probably won't bother going through the trouble of splitting it up. I still haven't decided whether I want to bother splitting a couple of others, and it'll probably come down to how the EPUBs are structured and how easy it is to find the cover images.

Like I said, it all balances out in the long run anyway, so I don't sweat it too much.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote