View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #58
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
So yes, travelling away from electricity does happen.
And thank god there's devices that have batteries that last a month so people can survive such lengthy rustic adventures.

Why are people acting like you have to charge a tablet every four hours or so to keep it from self-destructing? Or suggesting that they might actually read in lengthy enough stints to deplete a tablet's battery in a day of traveling -- thus needing to "grunt for an outlet" the second they arrive at their destination? I get 11-12 reading hours out of my Kindle Fire's battery. Which means I easily get 3 days or so between charges. Admittedly, I don't camp, but I find that I'm usually able to stumble across an outlet in that amount of time ... without having to frantically shove loved ones aside (with no greeting) in order to get to it (and without having to read with the charging cord attached).

I think the battery times on eInk device are fantastic. I do. From a technology standpoint. But I also think the need/use for weeks worth of battery is vastly overrated for the most part (for the majority of users/readers). I also think the notion of the battery-life of tablets being some sort of hardship--on anyone but the most hardcore of readers--is vastly over-exaggerated.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote