View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #93
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
The U+#### are the unique UTF-16 codes for the symbol. You can safely ignore all of those (although it makes it easier to find the character if you wanted to use the built in Character Map in Windows (See Image 3)).

If you look at the first image I attached, make sure that you have the HTML Entities box activated. This makes FileFormat show you the actual copy/pastable character on the right side (marked in Image 2).

First Column: Long description of letter (this is why there are multiple duplicates on the page)
Second Column: Unique UTF-16 number
Third Column: (Same as first column for the most part)
Fourth Column: The HTML character.
  • I personally make my font size HUGE on that page so I can see the characters much easier than the character map.

No problem. There are also very nice lists of characters with accents. I constantly keep tabs open in Firefox for the Wikipedia pages for Macron, Grave accent, Acute accent, Diaresis, Circumflex, Caron, Dagger.

Every time I click quote, I just copy/paste the code generated from MobileRead into a text editor (I use Notepad++). I then split the posts manually, the code is quite easy.

You can see that MobileRead sticks the post between a QUOTE, and a /QUOTE tag:

Code:
[
QUOTE=USERNAME;#######]First First First First First First.

Second  Second  Second  Second.

Third  Third  Third  Third  Third.
The first quote tag has the user who said the quote (marked in red), and the post # (marked in blue). The Red/Blue sections are optional, but I prefer to keep them in tact when quoting a user multiple times.

I copy/paste the opening tag when splitting up a user's post for much more easy readability, and remember to always put the closing QUOTE tag (light blue) at the end (THIS IS A VERY EASY STEP TO FORGET).

If I just wanted to comment on the user's first and third paragraphs:

Code:
[
QUOTE=USERNAME;#######]First First First First First First.[/QUOTE]

My comments to the first paragraph belong here.

[
QUOTE=USERNAME;#######]Third Third Third Third Third.[/QUOTE]

My comments to the third paragraph belong here.
From Notepad++, I type out my posts, and then copy/paste back in to the box on MobileRead. I then make sure to PREVIEW POST (very important).

You will most likely mess up many times before getting it down pat, but I have been doing it that way on forums for years (I have lost too many great posts to the abyss). [/QUOTE]
Wow. Thanks Tex. From now on I'm going to be an expert at finding any UTF character imaginable. That is a really good system you shared.

I gotta tell you though (although I'm sure it works great--I've seen people do it and it does make things leaner) I don't know (lol) if I have the discipline to do the text editor etc etc stuff to incorporate multiple quotes in a single post. (I admire that you do.) Maybe some day. (I'm kind of tired right now--maybe I'll feel differently in the morning.lol) At least now I know how to do it. I really appreciate you sharing all this great information with me. Thanks so much.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote