Thread: Glo Bad battery?
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 11:07 PM   #84
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
From memory:

Kobo uses Freestyle processors in the devices, and these processors are basically system-on-a-chips, which means that the CPU and the memory are on the same chip.

The chip may be smart enough to be able to turn off portions of memory that aren't being used, but there isn't that much memory, and stuff tends to get written to semi-random memory locations, so I'd say that all of memory is either on or off.

During sleep mode, memory will be in a sleep mode, where only enough power to refesh it is consumed. When the appropriate hardware trigger (power button toggle) happens, then the processor and memory are awakened, and the device is back in business.
Thanks for confirming that for me. So the amount of memory that a book uses should have no affect on power usage while the device is asleep.

I can understand poorly formatted ebooks (i.e. books that have all their chapters in one huge file instead of splitting into multiple smaller files) having an affect on the processor (i.e. making the processor work harder by having more data to shunt around), but this should only be while you're opening or reading the book, not while the device is asleep. Do you agree?
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote