View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 03:57 AM   #14
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
First of all, thank you again for your comments. This is actually where it starts to become a learning experience for me as well.
I'll definitely go back and edit the text again, but right after reading this, a few comments:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I regular-expression land (and in many programming languages), a single character is a string.
Well, the first programming language I learned was C. And if you go and define a string as char[] ... (Yes, that would contain the single character case as well, but somehow, I always think about strings as being at least two characters in length.)
Quote:
I know you don't want to introduce DOTALL here, but I want to make sure you know about it. If DOTALL is in effect, the dot will match line endings.
I know about flags, but as far as I know, Calibre doesn't allow for them to be used, am I right?
Quote:
At this point you are starting a tutorial on HTML. Do you really want to do that? Perhaps you do...
The thought here is that, judging from the posts we saw concerning the use of regexpes, at least some of the people wanting to use them have never seen HTML or anything similar. I wanted to explain what can be removed without going into any detail. I haven't decided whether to remove or rewrite this part, seeing how Calibre tries to correct broken syntax.
Quote:
Assuming you aren't bored with writing, a few examples would be good here. Then the next paragraph would be better situated.
In my opinion, there are way too few examples in that thing. I'll get around to that, but I'll have to try out the more non-trivial cases first, so that whatever expressions I write work. Would be pretty bad form to have broken expressions in a tutorial

By the way, concerning your comment on palindromes a while back: I think I see what you mean. I believe I've figured out how to match any palindrome of a given length not containing whitespaces (as in I couldn't match "madam im adam"), but that's about as far as I got.