View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 06:12 PM   #11
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeeker View Post
I can understand when a book is out of print and highly sought after, it would command a premium price on the used market, like Amazon marketplace, or eBay.

But why would the same book also command a premium as an e-Book, specifically the Kindle?

I was looking at "The Fantastic Sublime: Romanticism and Transcendence in Nineteenth-Century Children's Fantasy Literature," and while the print copies are going for around $100, the Kindle Edition is also prohibitively priced at $88. What the h**l is that about? You're not even buying the buying the book itself, you're basically renting a digital version. It's not on your shelves to be adored, but can be duplicated and resold endlessly. So this is pure profit. Why not sell it at face value?

So if there is no supply/demand factor, and you don't really own the book (referring to past news issues with e-books being remotely deleted or managed because of copyright issues) why are they gouging customers so blatantly? Why do people choose to be ripped off so much? I don't get it.

The solution is simple, find a library copy, check it out, scan it onto your computer and generate your own ebook - formatted the way you want.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote