View Single Post
Old 10-23-2008, 07:12 PM   #14
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Hey, all!

I like Antartica's ideas a lot. I was thinking along similar lines... here's a UI concept I put together based on Antartica's earliest post. I kept some of the elements from that, then I changed some things and added some new things, based on comments in this thread plus my own ideas.

My goals were to make the button functions as simple and intuitive as possible, maintain some consistency with the old UI, minimize the number of touches necessary to perform common tasks, and add room for new functionality (search, bookmarks) without being confusing.

Here's what I ended up with... What do you all think of this?

Key aspects :
  • Make the programs display in normal mode by default (not full-screen).
  • Keep toolbar at the bottom but reconfigure it (see below).
  • Remove the pagebar, but add a "current page/total pages" element to the toolbar.
  • Reserve the buttons on the left of the iliad for the viewer (not for the system).
  • Reserve the buttons of news/books/docs/notes to be used as virtual desktops; so they can be used to switch between applications (4 applications open at maximum seems reasonable for the iliad).
  • Use the "iRex button" as a "system" button that pops up a menu dialog box.
System dialog box :

Popped up / toggled by the iRex button, the system dialog box provides access to system utilities and options:
  • Information display includes:
    • Date & time
    • Detailed battery status, including exact charge % and approximate time remaining.
  • Menu options include:
    • Exit/close current document
    • iDS connect
    • Device Manager
Revised toolbar :

The toolbar has left-side icons and right-side icons. The right-side icons provide higher-level functions and don't change much with context. The left-side icons depend on the application.

To revise the toolbar and make the icon functions clearer, I suggest changing the left-side icons into menu headings.

When a menu icon is clicked, the icon expands to show the buttons in its sub-toolbar. The sub-toolbar is persistent and remains open until it is closed, or until you open a different sub-bar.

Right-side icons
  • Page number/Total pages
    • Touching this element with the stylus pops up the original pagebar to allow jump-navigation.
  • Enter fullscreen mode
  • Battery indicator
  • Close document
Left-side icons
  • Page
    • Close this sub-toolbar
    • Portrait/Landscape
    • Single/Continuous
    • Zoom out to page
    • Zoom in
    • Last zoom
    • Pan