View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 11:25 PM   #1
maggotb0y
Connoisseur
maggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony Reader
Converting BookDesigner to epub (bd2epub.pl)

I've created a perl script that will convert a BookDesigner html0 file to an ePub book. This is an early attempt and still needs lots of work, but I'm posting it for those that are interested (backups are your friend, etc, etc). Right now, this requires that info-zip's zip.exe be somewhere on the path, and this is Windows only at the moment. I hope to remove both of these requirements at some point.

I could use some help wrapping this up, I'll happily take any advice from anyone who has some suggestions.

I've attached the Perl script (when it's a little more polished I'll compile and post the .exe) so you'll need Perl to run it. For those who are just interested in seeing the output, I've attached "Ivanhoe" by Sir Walter Scott in a bookDesigner generated Sony Reader file, and the .epub version as well. Eventually I'll work on a more capability intensive test, but I've already noticed some things that the ePub engine renders better- for example a line ending in a dash with an endquote can lead to a line with only a dash and endquote in Sony's format. The ePub file seems not to suffer from this.
Attached Files
File Type: pl bd2epub.pl (11.5 KB, 1354 views)
File Type: lrf Ivanhoe.lrf (822.6 KB, 1439 views)
File Type: epub Ivanhoe.epub (574.9 KB, 1539 views)
maggotb0y is offline   Reply With Quote