View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
HarperCollins Flubs It

Well we had last summer's thread on Tor and ebooks and now HarperCollins flubs it.

I have been reading the fantasy books by Fiona McIntosh. I finished 2 of her series and now wanted to buy the first book in her new series. So I went to the HarperCollins website where I had bought her other ebooks.

Here's how it goes: First, because I couldn't find her new book at their SciFi site, I went to the main HC website and searched on her name. No problem, the book comes up as shown in this link for Royal Exile. But take a look at the web page. It clearly states that the book costs $7.99 and is available as either an ebook or a paperback.

Now click the ebook format you want and the Buy Now button. It takes you to a sister site for HC but not to the book in question. However, now if you search for Fiona McIntosh, the book does come up (it didn't a few days ago) but look at the pricing (click here) -- The list price is now $14.99 and the discount price is $11.99.

I wrote HC originally trying to locate the book and they provided the link. When I saw the price differential, I wrote as follows:

Quote:
Thank you for your response. However, I do not understand the pricing. Why would I pay $14.99 (list price)/$11.99 (discount price) for a DRMed ebook that I can buy the print version from you for $7.99 list price (see here: http://www.harpercollins.com/books/9...e/index.aspx)?

More importantly, your website at the link above indicates the ebook list price is $7.99. There seems to be a pricing problem.
HC promptly replied as follows:

Quote:
We will pass on your concerns about pricing. Customer feedback is always valuable to us.
Thank you,
The HarperCollins Ebooks team
I responded as follows:

Quote:
Please let me know if the book will be made available as an ebook for the $7.99 + the 20% discount. If it is, then I'll buy the book; if it is not, then I will not buy it because it makes no sense to lease a book for more than I can buy it for and I am no longer buying print books of this type of book.
Now I sit and wait for a response. Will it come? Will HC offer the book at the advertised price of $7.99. Only the Shadow knows for sure, but I'll bet not.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote