View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 02:15 PM   #92
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Haha, I knew I should have kept my ideas to myself. Here I was thinking of just a simple txt file listing the sequence/title/author/series.
LOL No one said we expected you to bend to our will. But when you ask, "What do people think?" you can be certain that, at the very least, Nyn and I will have something to say. And in my case, it will always be waaaay more complicated than anything you were considering.

Quote:
There's a bunch of complications around trying to do something "pretty". I had a quick look at the existing catalog feature but from what I see I don't think I could reuse it for this. There are too many issues which would have to be addressed (custom sort orders, running inline rather than as a job etc).
Well, I didn't mean a copy of the catalog function or using it, I was thinking more along the lines of a stylesheet I could fiddle with. Since a ebook document is being created, I assumed that the formatting would have to be dictated by something. However, if your thoughts were more along the lines of building a text list then automatically converting it to the selected format, then yes, I can see where my thoughts were not even close to what you were considering.

Quote:
(3) It gets created manually on demand. Easiest to implement, but another thing the user has to remember to do before they sync to have the most updated list so probably not realistic.

@CWatkinsNash - why do you want the ability to generate the reading list on the fly?
Because I have (or will have) 3 sync lists (one for each device) and 4 reading lists. With the way I'm doing things, I don't need an ebook list of the sync lists, only the reading lists, and some of them get added to every couple of days. (Yesterday, I got 35 books - all of the reading lists were changed multiple times within a couple of hours.) It makes more sense to generate the lists when I know I'm done fiddling with them. Therefore, option 3 would work best for me personally, but I may be in the minority.

Now, all of that said, it won't be any great hardship if you can't fulfill my every wish with the plugin. I was already prepared to do this manually (catalog + Sigil, which is how I built my custom Dresden Files series catalog).
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote